Friday, January 29, 2016

Danish Brazilian Rosewood Credenza

I don't know the date of manufacture of this Rosewood credenza by Interform, but would guess late 1970's or 1980's.  The design isn't as spectacular as pieces from some of the notable Danish designers.  However the Rosewood veneers used on the doors are beautiful and if you are a fan of Rosewood like I am, its hard to pass by a piece like this.  I imagine this was originally intended as a piece of office furniture.  However it would make a great media or TV stand with all the open storage.  Each section has one adjustable shelf.  The 2 outer sections have a small drawer in each.  This piece is finished on the back so could be "floated" in a room.  The inside is all finished with Mahogany, which is typical for Danish pieces made with Rosewood.

As I mentioned in my previous post today, all the pieces I have been working on have thrown me some unusual challenges.  For this piece, it was the stripping.  I think the original finish was a conversion varnish or some kind of catalyzed finish.  It was a bear to strip.  It took multiple applications of stripper, letting it sit overnight and wire brushing the finish out of the grain to get the old finish off.  That challenge is multiplied by the fact that Rosewood veneers are perilously thin, leaving no margin for error.  The new finish is not toned red like the original, so the natural color of the Rosewood can show through.

Dimension: 71"W x 30"H x 18.5"D
Sold










No comments:

Post a Comment