Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Broyhill "Forward 70" Triple Dresser and Mirror

Many of the pieces I acquire are in pretty good condition.  Most vintage furniture galleries or resellers would simply polish them up and put a "for sale" sign on them.  I like to refinish them because I like them to really shine and be a focal point in a room.  I refinish them to look how I'd like them if they were to stay in my home.

This piece is not one of those.  When I pulled it into my work shop to start working on it I questioned if I should have even bought it.  The original finish was in very rough shape.  There were burn marks, water rings, missing lacquer, yellowed and dingy finish, etc.  Most resellers would have run.  The good news was that structurally it was in good shape.  Most of the veneer damage was superficial.  In the end it cleaned up nicely.

The "Forward 70" line was the Broyhill designers' 1960 vision of what 1970's design would be.  The pecan trim around the edge of the case and the 3 center raised decorative panels echo similar designs from Lane with their Acclaim and Perception lines.  These lines were very popular well into the 60's and had similar looking oak trim matched with walnut veneers, so in some ways the Broyhill people had it right.  This triple dresser has 9 drawers, 3 of which are behind the center mounted doors.  Simple brass pulls are used on the 6 exposed drawers.  The case is hardwood pecan wood with walnut veneers.  The pecan is exposed and milled on the front edges to echo the 2-tone look of the decorative door panels.  It is a nice, integrated design and one of the lesser known from Broyhill.

The weather has been good for photos and I had some time to take advantage.  The mirror is a day or two behind on the finish schedule.  I've included a pic from the web that shows the same mirror that is included in the set.  I'll post a pic of the mirror when I get a chance.

Dimensions:  66"W x 31"H x 18"D
         mirror:  42" x 22"

Sold
















No comments:

Post a Comment