Friday, July 24, 2015

Brown Saltman End Table

This was the donor piece for the drawer pulls on a similar end table that I posted in December.
http://modwerks.blogspot.com/2014/12/uber-cool-walnut-brown-saltman-end-table.html
Other than missing the pulls, that piece was in great condition.  This piece, although it had the cool original pulls was not so fortunate.  The legs were missing and a crude pedestal base had been attached.  I'm guessing the original finish was in bad shape and someone went over it with a dark stain.  The top had a "shadow" circle from something being left in the same place while the rest was exposed to sunlight.  After stealing the pulls to make the other table complete I had to decide what to do with this one.  It wasn't worth the effort to try to reconstruct the original legs especially considering the original pulls were now gone.  I decided to use it as a test piece for a finish I wanted to try.  The wood floor industry has some great new finishes that I think would work well on furniture.  The high solids hardwax oils can give a cerused effect and they come in a multitude of colors.  I decided to experiment with this one to see how it would look on walnut.  The result is promising and I think could be appropriate on the right pieces, especially if it is something that isn't currently trending like oak.  I'm selling this for about what I have into it in materials.

I wasn't able to fully restore this piece as some of its original parts were missing. It is a Brown-Saltman walnut end table by John Keal so it is an interesting piece for the mid-century enthusiast. The original legs and pendant pulls are gone and I opted to give it a more current look by adding sculpted brushed aluminum legs and matching bar pulls. The finish is also more contemporary with a white tinted hardwax oil. The white fills the wood pores somewhat and gives it a soft whitewashed look. The finish is more matte than a typical lacquer or varnish. This finish is used for european style wood flooring so it is durable, much more so than a oiled waxed furniture finish. The top of the table does have a dark circle that is from a lamp or something that sat in one place for too long. Otherwise it is in good shape and the finish is new.

Dimensions: 27"W x 27"D x 18"H

Sold







No comments:

Post a Comment