Wednesday, August 13, 2014

In the Werks, American of Martinsville part 2

Last week I started working on the second of 2 identical American of Martinsville 9 drawer dressers (see post of July 29).  I had never seen one of these before, with the black door insets and couldn't even find info on line.  But I managed to acquire 2 within just a few weeks of each other last year.
 The first one turned out nicely but had some damage to the veneer that I wasn't able to completely overcome.  The second is the less damaged of the two and is turning out to be a gem.  I could see some interesting swirls in the grain on the top of the piece but the original finish was hiding what it really looked like.  As I stripped and sanded I began to get some hints of what was being hidden.  I've begun applying finish and now its really jumping to life!  Swirls, burls, and stripes! Here are a couple quick (and not great) close up iPhone pics I took after the first coat of finish.  I'm hoping to have this one ready to go this weekend.


 

Here are a few more pics.  The doors are a couple coats of finish behind the rest.  You can see the color is there but not the depth yet.  I've since put a couple more coats on all.  The case and drawers are done, doors need a couple more.






No comments:

Post a Comment