Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Broyhill Forward '70 Credenza and Hutch

Like anyone else, I always go into a project with a certain level of expectation.  Sometimes a piece is a cool or rare design or the materials are particularly interesting.  I tend to get more excited about pieces that I have higher expectations for and will bump those up in my queue.  I've had this set for a year and a half.  I acquired it at the same time as some other pieces and it was almost left behind.  For one, it was all painted a taupe color and I generally don't bring home painted pieces because you just can't tell what lies beneath the paint.  Second, I wasn't sure the configuration of this piece was one that would make it desirable.  Third, as my friend MidcenturyMike will tell you, I can be lukewarm on Broyhill pieces because some of them have had walnut that is not colored and figured as nicely as from other makers.  It was time to get working on this piece and as I started the process, I began to realize I set my expectations too low.  As the paint was removed and the walnut was revealed I saw some nice figuring and color variation.  The more time I spent on the piece, the more uses I saw for it.  In the end, this set exceeded my expectations.

This credenza and hutch are part of the Forward '70 line.  These were designed in the early 1960's and represented the vision of Broyhill's designers of what design in 1970 and beyond would be like.  This set, I imagine, was intended as a china storage piece to be used in a dining room.  I'm sure it would work well in this application but I think it has much more functionality to offer.  It would be a great dry bar in a living room or den with the drop down door on the hutch working as a serving surface for drinks.  I would work great as a light use desk with the drop door serving as a work surface for writing or a laptop.  The hutch top could also be used separately by adding some hairpin legs and using as a compact TV/media stand.  The shelves behind the sliding glass doors could house a cable box, Apple TV or other electronic component that uses an IR remote.  The top has enough space for probably a 50" TV.

The entire set has been stripped sanded and refinished.  Because they had been painted and stripped, the cane panels on the hutch door were discolored.  I opted to stain the cane a chocolate brown that works well with the walnut coloring.  The sliding glass doors on the hutch are original and in great shape.  The drawers all slide well on their original steel and roller bearing slides.

Dimensions:
      Credenza 54"W x 30.5"H x 18"D
       Hutch     54"W x 21.5"H x 14"D (at bottom) 11.5"D (at top)

Sold



























No comments:

Post a Comment