Sunday, February 21, 2016

Walnut Floating Top End/Coffee Table

If you've spent some time digging through my blog posts this table might look familiar.  In the fall of 2014 I restored a matching end table and coffee table.  As I remember, within a day or two of having sold the identical end table, the original owner contacted me and told me they had another table they wanted to get rid of.  It was too late to refinish this one and sell as a set.  This table could be used as a side table or corner table in a sectional or, as a coffee table depending on what height and scale is desired.  Here is my description from the first table I did.

They all did it.  Finn Juhl, Jens Risom, Greta Grossman, many of the great designers had a variation of the floating top table.  It is a classic design that lives on today.  This set has no makers marks on it but considering the top is walnut and by their general construction,  I would say they are most likely American made.  They remind me the most of Grossman's designs with the crossing stretchers and detail at the top of the legs.  These were originally finished in a Heywood -Wakefield-like bleached finish.  That has been stripped off and the walnut refinished its natural color with the legs dyed to match.  The top of the end table has gently curving sides to set it apart from an ordinary square table.

Dimensions:

End table: 30" x 30" x 20"H

Sold





No comments:

Post a Comment