Saturday, March 12, 2016

Dillingham Walnut Credenza Attributed to Milo Baughman

This beautiful credenza by Dillingham is a classic example of good modernist design.  Clean straight lines are uninterrupted by hardware or other visual distractions.  This allows the beautiful materials to be the main attraction.  The veneers used on the doors are bookmatched across the front, enhancing the symmetry of the piece.  Inside there is ample storage for china or electronics or whatever needs to be stored.  There are two small drawers on the left side with a fixed shelf and one adjustable shelf on the right.

No piece is ever perfect but I try to erase as many of the imperfections as possible as I go through the refinishing process.  If you've ever tried refinishing furniture there is a good chance you've taken the "erasing" process too far and sanded through veneer.  It's a sickening feeling to realize what you've done and the result is pretty unsightly.  With as many pieces as I've refinished now I have a pretty good idea how much sanding is too much.  This piece has a few scratches that were obviously pretty deep when I started.  I was able to make many disappear but had to stop on some of them so that I didn't do further damage.  I don't think they detract much from the overall appearance but they are there and are captured in some of the pics.  I have adjusted the price accordingly.

Dimensions: 74"W x 19"D x 29.5"H

sold













No comments:

Post a Comment