Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Restyled Stanley Mid Century Dining Table

I've been on the hunt for other dining tables that I could refinish with a cerused finish.  The oak one I did last year turned out beautifully.  When this table popped up and I saw the interesting grain patterns and veneer layups I knew it had potential.  As I began work, I realized the solid edges were oak and the veneers were pecan.  Pecan has a similar natural color to oak, but a different grain structure.  It also takes stain differently.  This results in a different effect than the ceruse finish on oak.  I wouldn't say this has a traditional modernist aesthetic but would work will with industrial modern or modern farmhouse styles.

The table is a large, nicely constructed piece by Stanley (manufactured in 1975).  With no leaves there is ample seating for 6.  With the use of the 2 leaves this table can seat 10.  With the finish process I used the overall color is similar to a slate gray.  The finish shows undertones of dark brown and black and the grain fill is a light gray.

Logistics often dictate my photography quality.  I don't have a properly lit studio and had no help to move the piece to a better location.  It isn't my best photography effort but the pics convey the end result well enough.

Dimensions: 68"L x 42"W x 29.5"H (no leaves)
                     104"L with 2 leaves

Sold













1 comment: