Sunday, September 7, 2014

Dillingham Esprit Bedroom Set by Martin Borenstein

It has been a busy few weeks at Modwerks.  It has been great to be able to work on restorations with more regularity.  I'm hoping that will continue for the next few months.  Unfortunately the blog has fallen behind a bit, so I'm updating with some recent work, even though none of these are currently available.

This smartly designed walnut bedroom set was penned by Martin Borenstein.  His designs are very reminiscent of Milo Baughman, in fact Baughman designed some of Dillingham's pieces.  Like Baughman, Borenstein's simple design makes the beautiful materials stand out.  The raised top edge of the case pieces are all of solid walunt.  The veneers on the drawers are all bookmatched and all the veneers exhibit great color and figuring.  The walnut is nicely balanced by the glossy black laminate inlays in the spaces between the drawers.  Although the mirror isn't pictured, it is noteworthy in that the frame is made of solid walnut.  Most of the mid century sets with mirrors used a less expensive wood that was stained walnut color.  It is a beautiful set with timeless design.  Evidence that good design and quality materials are never out of style.  This set sold before I finished it.









4 comments:

  1. Hi Matt,
    I am in the Bay Area and have been stalking your beautiful site for awhile now for a bedroom set. I need a dresser, highboy, two nightstands and mirror if possible. What is the best way to find out about items you have for sale before they actually sell? Thanks so much!!! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle!
      Thanks for stalking me! I'm glad to know you are still following my work. The people who bought this set had an advantage in that they are friends and get to see what I'm working on all the time. On occasion I'll do a quick post while I'm in the middle of a piece if there is something about it that I feel is interesting to share. Otherwise it debuts when it is ready for sale. I do have 3 bedroom sets that may be of interest that are waiting for me to start work on. If you text your email address to the number at the top of the page I can send some pics and descriptions and see what we can work out.
      Thanks
      Matt

      Delete
  2. Hi Matt, I have the highboy and 2 end tables from this set, handed down from my parents. I recently acquired the lowboy dresser with a mirror. However, the mirror doesn't quite seem like a matching mirror. I am wondering if you would be willing to photograph the mirror or direct me to a picture online? My parents actually also had a dining room table and an amazing coffee table that pulled apart to expose a black laminate surface (I used to eat my oatmeal there while watching cartoons as a kid). Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice on the mirror! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie. It sounds like your parents had some cool stuff! I've sold this set, so unfortunately it isn't in my possession anymore and can't take a picture. I looked on line and I didn't see any pics either. If you send me a pic of yours I'll tell you if it like the one I had. I don't know if they manufactured variations on the mirror. Matt

    ReplyDelete