Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Jerry Johnson Reverse Cantilever Chairs

Although I don't have confirmation, I am fairly confident in attributing these chairs to Jerry Johnson.  Johnson is responsible for a number of notable designs for Landes of California and favored the use of chromed tubular steel and canvas slings.  I can't find any information on these particular chairs.  These are intended as dining/side chairs.  I have found attributions for a lounge chair which is almost identical except that is sits lower, is wider and has a suspension system on the sling portion of the chair.

My intent was to restore and restyle these.  They are a really cool and unique design and would make great additions to mod decor.  However, since I don't do upholstery, I can't really do any of the work myself and I don't really have space to ad these to my collection.  I'm hoping someone will appreciate the potential and i would be willing to assist a buyer in getting them redone.  I am pricing them 4 for the price of 3 as one of the chairs has a bent leg where the tubing has buckled.  It is useable but I wouldn't recommend for a larger person.  The canvas sling on this one chair is also in bad shape.  This chair could probably be repaired but could also be used for parts or a test piece.

Here is a link I found that might serve as inspiration for restyling these.  I like the use of foam sheet cushions rather than the loose stuffing.  This is the lounge chair version.

 http://www.modernhausdesign.com/product/the-morrison-chair-pieced-vintage-denim-cantilevered-chrome

Only 2 chairs left.  One is in good shape, the other has a tweeked leg.  It is useable but weakened.
Available for $60 for the good one and damaged one.








No comments:

Post a Comment