Friday, November 7, 2014

Lane Perception Bedroom Set

Warren Church's design of Lane's Perception line was so well executed it could be dropped into a West Elm or Crate and Barrel catalog today and still be very successful.  Although many of the pieces from this line incorporated wooden basketweave elements, the pieces in this set did not and they are my favorites of the line.  These have a distinctly Danish feel with their organically shaped wood pulls and legs and rounded, solid case corners and front edge detail.  Like some of Church's other designs walnut was the primary case material with legs, edges and pulls of oak.  As was typical of most furniture made in those days, these were finished with a tinted lacquer that blurred the distinction of the two materials as well as the grain in the nice walnut veneers.

On this set I opted to go in a different design direction from the manufacturer and showcased the contrast in materials.  I lightly dyed the oak pieces, enough to tone them down from the nearly bone white color they would have been but still enough to contrast with the walnut.  Not only does this bring attention to the graceful pulls and legs but it also brings out some of the lighter sapwood coloring in the walnut and exaggerates the grain variation.  The result is a more modern expression of classic mid-century design.

This set was sold before completed.  My photographer friend Michael Nelson of Adoration Pro Photo, recently moved into a new house and they needed to some new pieces to go along with it.  He has been great in helping me elevate my photos from crappy to passable, so I was happy I could return the favor.


















1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to see this. I have several pieces and may refinish

    ReplyDelete